Protecting The Best Interests Of Families Going Through Divorce
One of the most contentious aspects of any divorce, whether it is carried out amicably or is troubled with bitterness and acrimony, involves child custody. Although most parents believe they have the best interests of their children in mind, the emotional stress of the moment can skew judgment and create a hostile environment, placing additional stress on children who are caught in the middle.
At the Batavia, Illinois, Law Office of Frank J. Giampoli, Ltd., we understand the need to protect the relationship you have with your child. That is why we work one-on-one with you to determine a best-case scenario while implementing a strategy to see that your goals are achieved. Instead of offering rigid, one-size-fits-all solutions, we provide you and your former partner options when determining a child custody arrangement.
We Help Parents Check Emotions At The Door To Reach Solutions That Are In The Best Interests Of Their Children
Although it’s easy to get wrapped up in the moment, you and your co-parent will benefit from setting differences aside and reaching an agreement that places the best interests of your child first. Should negotiations be impossible, a judge will rule on how your custody arrangement will be implemented. Whether you plan to negotiate, work with a mediator or pursue litigation, it’s wise to assess the criteria a judge would consider and apply it to your situation:
- The physical and psychological health of both parents
- The safety and stability of the homes and neighborhoods of both parents
- The abilities of both parents to provide for the financial and emotional well-being of the child
- Proximity to relatives, schools and other amenities such as hospitals should the child require any special medical care
- If the child is mature enough, his or her preferences will be taken into account
- Past or current issues, such as abuse or addiction, will also be considered when determining a parent’s ability to provide a safe and stable home
Each divorce and custody dispute is different. Just because a friend or relative was unable to secure full legal custody of his or her child doesn’t mean your case will have a similar outcome. To give yourself the best opportunity for success, contact attorney Frank Giampoli and learn your custody rights and options.
Strong Advocacy To Protect Your Parent-Child Relationship
When you sit down at our Batavia law office, you will have a chance to share your story in confidence, receive sound advice and leave feeling confident that you have an experienced lawyer in your corner.